Friday, March 13, 2009

Surfing in McDonalds Dumaguete


As we all know, the McDonalds branch of Dumaguete is currently Wi-Fi enabled. But how is the connection here? I decided to test their connection while I was waiting for BPI, which is located across the street, to open. I arrived at McDonalds Dumaguete at around 8am and proceeded to order breakfast first. I didn’t get the brand of their wireless router but you can see it on the wall on the left side of the counter.

I proceeded to turn on my MSI wind and automatically found the access point of McDonalds Dumaguete. No passwords, this is good. Once connected, I first ran a speedtest at speedtest.net using Google Chrome. The results are posted here. Not bad for a free connection. The sites that I tested like yahoo mail and Gmail opened up pretty quick. I was soon happily browsing the net while eating my breakfast.

After I saw that BPI was already open I prepared to leave. Overall Internet experience was good. There were a couple of people who were happily browsing the Internet as well when I checked the tables. Good thing there is free Internet in McDonalds, now all we need are power sockets so that we could plug our laptops and not worry about our batteries draining.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I second that part about power sockets(outlets).

I mean no harm but I hope there is going to be an "free access point war" among our fastfood outlets. I am sure it is not only "good" for us mobile net users but to all traveling business people as well.

Audrey said...

Yes, that's one downside of Mcdonalds. I don't think they'll be installing power outlets lest people will just lull around using their free unsecured wifi sans ordering the whole day. :P I think it's a marketing move.

Anyway, good thing the place where I stayed (Florentina Homes Apartment Hotel) already has wi-fi. I don't have to go to Mcdonald's to use theirs. :P