Sunday, July 26, 2009

From XP to Ubuntu: A Smart Move


Yes you read it right, my netbook is now running on Ubuntu 9.04. It's the Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 to be precise which I downloaded from their website. Why did I shift operating systems? A lot of people who have been using Microsoft operating systems tend to stick to Microsoft. I for one am an avid Microsoft user having used their operating system since Windows 95 came out.

Here are the reasons why I switched to Ubuntu

1.Ubuntu is free
100% free nothing to pay, nothing to pirate if you can't pay. When my netbook was running on XP I had to manually install most of the drivers. With Ubuntu, I did not have a problem with the drivers. Everything worked perfectly after installing Ubuntu, WiFi, webcam, touchpad, ethernet.. nothing to install.
2.Applications are free
Again after installing Ubuntu OS your system would automatically have OpenOffice 3.0, Firefox 3.0, Pidgin Messenger, Evolution Mail Client. Everything Microsoft has, Ubuntu also has only this time it is for free.
3.No Need For Anti Virus software
Here's what made me like Ubuntu. During my XP days I had to constantly reformat my PC, at most once a month due to all these viruses, spywares, malwares, adwares, etc. Right now my system and data is safe since no virus can infect the Ubuntu operating system.
4.Faster boot time
What takes a minute boot time for XP takes only an average of 25 seconds now.
5.Excellent Support
Need a photo editor? Planning to convert your downloaded movie files so that they can be played by your regular DVD player? Just search for your program of choice in the Ubuntu repositories. This way you really are sure that the program will work. With the windows operating system you would have to download trial versions of programs and most of these have viruses and spywares embedded in them.

I have been using Ubuntu for 3 months now and I don't think I will be going back to the Microsoft OS. I am in fact excited to use the upcoming Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala edition which should be released this October. More on that when I receive my copy.

Want a free copy? Just leave me a message, better yet try go to the Ubuntu homepage.

For more information regarding Ubuntu you can visit their website at http://www.ubuntu.com and http://ubuntuforums.org

No comments: